Daily Habits to Improve Health
Life is hard and over time stress can really wear us down and make us more likely to develop health problems and illnesses. There are things you can do that will improve your physical and mental health and leave you feeling great! Lets break it down by the time of day.
Morning Healthy Habits
Mental Health: Mornings are a the time of day that we wake up and get ready to start our busy day. Don't overwhelm yourself. Upon waking up take a few minutes to ease your mind. Practice deep breathing. Place your hands by your sides and relax your body. Inhale for 5 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds and slowly exhale for 5 seconds. Repeat this for 2 - 3 minutes.
Nutrition: Before you eat breakfast of drink your morning coffee drink a glass of warm lemon water. Drink the morning on a empty stomach, lemon has been shown to help increase the metabolic rate of the body. When you are deciding what to eat avoid fruits and grains and eat healthy fats like avocado or protein rich foods like eggs and greek yogurt.
Morning tips to help reduce stress:
- Enjoy home made coffee (you'll save money over pricy coffee shops)
- Do some quick stretches
- Do not use the snooze button
- leave the house on a empty stomach
- don't wake up in the dark, leave your curtains half open to allow natural light to enter
- do not eat breakfast on the go, you are more likely to back unhealthy choices. Foods high in sugar and lead to stress
Lunch Time Healthy Habits
Many of you have office jobs and this can lead to stationary lifestyles. Here are tips to improve your day.
Mental Health: be sure to give yourself breaks away from the desk and paper work. Talk a walk and if possible take a 15 minute walk outside during your lunch break for a dose of vitamin D. Be sure to do breathing exercises and stretch your body at your desk.
Nutrition: It's best practice to prepare your lunch at home and bring it to work rather than going out to eat. You lunch should contain complex carbohydrates and protein. This combination will provide you with sustained energy.
Lunch Tips to Reduce Stress:
Many of us are guilty of eating lunch at our desks and not taking a break from work. It's important for your mental health to take breaks throughout your work day. Try to avoid eating out, fast food is not good for your health and the price will quickly add up and lead to stress.
- Get sunlight for vitamin D
- Spend some time looking out the wndow
- Keep a clean and organized desk
- Take a break and drink a cup of herbal tea
- dont stay at your desk, move around and go for a walk instead
- do not get into a routine, change up your lunch by eating in new places and socializing
- avoid eating out at fast food resturants, these foods are likely to be high in bad fats and salt which can affect stress levels
Afternoon Healthy Habits
After the end of your work day be sure to distance yourself from your work. If you bring work home with you you will run the risk of increasing your stress levels and hurting your relationships.
Mental Health: After work it is time to relax and relaxation can be helped with the power of peppermint oil. Take a few drops of peppermint oil and message them on your wrists, behind your ears and on your temples. Peppermint oil has relaxation properties. Doing stretches or practicing yoga can also help clear your mind of stress and relax your body. Due things that you enjoy and make you happy.
Nutrition: When deciding what to eat pick foods that are high in fiber. Good options are hummus, walnuts, apples, peanut butter, or turkey wraps.
Afternoon Tips to Reduce Stress:
- Clear your head with a few minutes of alone time to help you transition your mind away from work
- Listen to music that improves your mood
- Interact with people you are close to and spend time with family. If you live alone, phone a close friend
- Don't waste time, your commute from work can be filled with traffic which can cause stress. Spend the time listening to relaxing music or listening to a audio book
- Don't take work home, it's important to leave your work at work.
- Do not leave the office without tying up loose ends. If you do it will leave you thinking and worrying about it till the next morning