As gym closures drag on across the country, getting in shape and losing the “quarantine 15” is a challenge.
If you miss your studio fitness classes, gym memberships, or personal training sessions, I have exciting news!
You can bring your gym, studio, and training right into your living room.
Technology and fitness equipment have come together to bring you the latest “smart” home gyms and workout equipment.
Don’t let COVID-19 stop you form getting exercise and staying healthy.
We all know exercise is essential to a healthy immune system and for mental well being.
I was really struggling mentally and physically with the lockdowns and lack of exercise. It was hard to motivate myself to stay active, and online downloadable workouts were starting to get boring. I missed the social interactions with friends at fitness classes and feedback on my posture & performance.
What was supposed to be a few weeks of gym & studio shutdown has dragged on for months. With summer coming to an end, the midwest will likely even see an increase in the number of cases as cold and flu season starts to ramp up…
We can’t predict or relay on the future, but you can take your health and fitness into your own hands and make the decision to take control of your fitness.
Here are the most exciting “smart” home workout systems that you can use to bring your gym, trainer, studio & friends into your living room, virtually!
Tempo – Editor’s Choice
Tempo is an at-home smart gym with real weights and real-time feedback that really brings the feeling of having a gym and personal trainer right to your door.
- Training Coaches – The Tempo studio features elite trainers. They can see when you make a mistake or need to fix your posture or positioning.
- Built-in 3D sensors track your form, reps and even makes recommendations on weights.
- Detailed Insights – I love the amount of detail available as you workout. You can see and measure your heart rate, calories burned, and your ranking on the leaderboard.
- Compact & modern – all the equipment that comes with Tempo (dumbbells, change plates, workout mat, etc. ) is storied right inside t the Tempo Studio.
- Social on Leaderboards – I love the leaderboard feature. It’s a great way to add a “social” aspect to at-home gyms and encourages a little friendly competition. You can compete against your friends or the Tempo community. It is a great extra motivation
- Real premium gym equipment. The weights and hardware are high quality and designed for max grip.
Workouts & Classes
Tempo has a variety of classes and workout categories:
- Strength training
Live Classes with coaches who are notified in real-time when Tempo detects you made a mistake, and they provide you with precise guidance on when to make adjutants.
Tempo Price & Financing
Tempo can be yours for only $55 per month for 36 months with no down payment and 0% APR. You can also choose to get access to unlimited classes and personalized training for $39/month per household. Check out the Tempo website for more details.
Tempo Demo Video
Tonal brings the gym and strength training sessions to your home.
It offers resistance and strength training workouts with real-time guidance and coaching from experts.
- Full Body Workouts – Tonal supports hundred of moves and up to 200lb of resistance.
- Bio Feedback – It uses up to 17 sensors to cue and correct your form. Tonal learns from your body and adapts guidance, so you get real-time feedback.
- Coaching – Tonal has expert-led programs to help you achieve your fitness goals. Whether it’s strength training to build up muscle or to get lean and toned, follow the coached as they guide you step-by-step.
Workouts & Classes
Tonal has hundreds of exercises and fitness classes to choose from. Notable categories include:
- Strength Training
- Cardio Classes
- Partner Workouts
- Custom Workouts
- Strength Training for Triathletes
- Guided Workout Programs from
- Free Lift
Tonal Price & Financing
Tonal offers financing options so you can start training now and pay later. It’s easy to get approved through affirm, and payments are $149 per month for 36 months with 0%APR. In some cases, a down payment may be required.
Tonal Demo Video
Mirror, at first glance, looks like a full-length mirror. It blends well with its elegant design.
But this “mirror” is actually an LCD screen where you can participate in live, instructor lead, fitness classes.
Mirror has one of the most varieties of classes.
- Mirror Digital – You can get unlimited access to their workouts through the Mirror App. View workouts from your phone, tablet, and smart TV 24/7. This is an excellent bonus for those who travel and would like to stay fit on the road.
- Coaches – Coaches are certified trainers and prod motivation and live feedback recommendations on weights.
- Real-time optimization- real-time feedback on your workouts based on your goals, preferences and personal profile
- Playlist – They have customized playlist available featuring popular music and a variety of genres to spice up your workouts.
- Mirror measures your heart rate by syncing with a Bluetooth heart rate monitor or apple watch.
Workouts & Classes
Mirror has a vast selection of types of exercise and a library of tens of thousands of classes. It’s hard to “get bored” with the massive library of on-demand fitness classes. They also have weekly live classes.
- Weight Training
Mirror Price & Financing
Financing for Mirror starts at $42 a month at 0% APR. There is also a $39 monthly membership.
MIRROR Demo Video
Forme Life is launching in Q3 of 2020, but you can pre-order it now to be among the first!
Forme Life looks similar to Mirror as an elegant full-length mirror design.
Think of it as a fusion of Mirror and Tonal. Mirror was lacking the resistance to strength training, and Forme Life is offering a fix to that.
They provide strength training equipment that attaches to the sides and can be tucked away when not in use.
- 4K Display – FORM Life has the largest and highest resolution screen among home fitness equipment, a High-quality touchscreen display. It delivers that lifelike experience that you would get with inner-son one-on-one training.
- Music – Workouts are choreographed to. Popular music, and you can integrate workouts with your own Apple Music or Spotify account.
- Voice control music, resistance, and more.
- Variable resistance up to 150 pounds
- Feedback – FORME Life uses a camera and “human-centered computer vision” to give you feedback on your form. You can also train with your trainer for human feedback. It is enabled for two-way, live interaction.
Workouts & Classes
They have accessories that add to the variety of workouts you can do.
When you purchase a FORME Life, the following are included:
- Free frome handles
- Premium rope grip handles
- Short Bar
- Performance Ankle Straps
- Storage Cabinet
- Non-slip Yoga mat
- Heart Rate monitor
- Cleaning kit
The storage cabinet that fits behind the display and pulls open to store all the included accessories.
Additional and optional accessories you can get to supplement your workout routine:
- The Barre (boutique studio experience
- Adjustable bench
- Anti-fatigue wellness mat
We will know more about the classes offered once they launch. From the expensive list of accessories included, the variety of workouts will be great!
FORME Life Price & Financing
Forme Life is available for pre-order.
FORME Life Demo Video
MaxPro is a brand new addition to the smart gym product lineup. They are “the world’s most versatile full-body portable fitness machine” connecting to your smartphone, and it’s coaching app.
This “gym” is portable and compact. The complete system takes up almost no space and weighs only 10 pounds.
It might be small, but it’s a powerful machine with 5 to 300lbs of concentric resistance.
(Change the resistance levels with a simple, easy turn of a dial.)
- Portable & Travel Friendly – It is portable and can be used outdoors, home, dorm, office, hotel room, virtually anywhere.
- Expand the variety and types of workouts with add-ons
- Coaching and Feedback – The Coaching app downloadable on your smartphone connects to the Maxpro using Bluetooth. The sensors on the Maxpro relay all data related to workouts to the app. This includes reps, cycles, resistance.
- Social – you can post your workout stats and challenge and encourage your friends
Workouts & Classes
Maxpro can be used on a door, bench, floor, and with and without additional accessories. Additional adding available in the Maxpro online and be purchased to add other options and workout variety.
- Strength training
- Function training
Maxpro Price & Financing
The Maxpro has a 14-day money-back guarantee. You can get started with no downpayment and $47 per month.
Maxpro Demo Video
Best At-Home Smart Yoga Studios
Instructor lead yoga classes are essential for every level of yoga practice and most importantly, beginners.
Correct alignment in yoga is the key to avoiding injury and getting the most benefit from each pose.
If you are a yogi or looking into taking up a yoga practice, check out these awesome yoga gadgets and “smart” mats giving you real-time feedback and instructor lead classes.
Pros of “Smart” Fitness Equipment
Home smart gyms are pricy, to say the least, but if you do the math, they might run in your favor. Considering the cost of a gym membership or studio membership, overtime, it adds up, and there comes the point where you would break even in cost.
Con’s of At-Home “Smart” Gyms
One thing that at home smart fitness machines can’t give you is the social, live human interaction. Many people enjoy the gym, mainly because of the social aspect. They count on the social element for making new friends, staying accountable, and socializing. Going to a gym with friends or fitness classes helps motivate and encourage accountability.
Is A Smart gym right for your personality?
A smart at-home gym is not an excellent fit for everyone. Depending on your preference of workout styles, it may or may not be something that will help you. If you are going to spend a thousand more dollars, the last thing you want is to collect dust around the house.
Things to think about before investing in an expensive home gym are the type of workouts you enjoy doing, your budget, what motivates you, and the variety you are looking for.
Share your thoughts or Share this article!